2011년 10월 20일 목요일

Shawshank Redemption Reading Journal

The Shawshank Redemption Reading Journal
Book vs. Movie



          "I hope I can make across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope." As the movie Shawshank Redemption ended, I couldn't stop myself from feeling greatly moved by the movie. 2 weeks before, after I read the book, I thought movie wouldn't be as good as the book like it usually does - my guess was completely off. The movie followed the basic structure of the book. However, the movie included some dramatic ingredients that weren't in the book. Though the opinion may vary from person to person, I think that the movie was better than the book because of following reasons.

          First, the movie was better than the book because of the ending. In the book, Stephen King concludes the story in an unfinished way. As I mentioned above some people will like this unfinished way. However, I didn't like it. I wanted a clean, strong ending, allowing Red and Andy to meet in the small beach town. Unlike the book, movie ends when Red meets Andy. After I saw that, I was so relieved of the stress I felt after the book. Of course, Stephen King would have chosen that kind of ending for readers to guess and use their imagination about whether Red meets Andy. I understand his intentions, but I felt very uncomfortable in that way. It just kept lingering in my mind. Thus, I enjoyed the movie's strong ending much more.

          Second, I enjoyed the movie better because of the death of Tommy. Tommy Williams is a guy who told Andy about the real criminal who killed Andy's wife. In the book, Tommy just moves to different jail. On the contrast, in the movie, Norton kills Tommy, considering Tommy as a pesky danger to him and the Shawshank. I liked it this way better because the death of Tommy provides a clear source of anger that causes Andy to determine to escape from Shawshank and pay back to Norton. The book didn't have enough tension that made me think like "so... Andy just escaped..." The book lacked a strong sympathy between the readers and Andy about the cause of Andy's action. Movie clearly showed that - death of Tommy, whom Andy taught and provided Andy some happiness in his life, caused enough anger to make Andy resolute about his decision to escape. Thus, I could sympathize with Andy more.

          Lastly, I enjoyed the movie more because of the change in Red. In the book, Red is introduced as an Irish man in a similar age with Andy. On the contrast, in the movie, Red is a black man who it a lot older than Andy. I liked it this way better because the change made Red like a mentor to Andy and felt more credible than the Red from the book. In the book, Red was merely a close friend. However, in the movie, Red was a person who Andy could lean and depend on to. I think this kind of relationship made a stronger and more touching impression. I could feel a much more strong feeling from my mind at the end of the movie than I had at the end of the book. Thus, I liked the movie more because of the change in Red.

          Nevertheless of these comparisons, both movie and the book was a masterpiece. They were both very enjoyable to watch. No matter who much different they were, both works showed one theme - hope. They both told to never give up hope and work hard to achieve that hope. I thought it was kind of a extreme way to show that kind of theme but I loved the suspension and imagination from the author. For those who never watched or read "The Shawshank Redemption", I strongly recommend you to see it. NOW. You won't regret it.

댓글 2개:

  1. The ending was obviously better in the movie!!

    답글삭제
  2. I'm glad most of you really enjoyed this unit in the class, and wish The Body could generate the same enthusiasm. But I couldn't agree with you more as to WHY the movie is so good. It's a rare masterpiece and by luck, chance, and a lot of hard work - the move ended up the way it did. Most adaptations do not get the same upgrade - even with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

    I agree with you about Tommy especially. The film had more urgency and drama. More tension. I'm glad you gave King some credit for his choice to leave us hanging. Maybe meeting in the book wouldn't be as rewarding as it was in the film - because in the film all it took was a brief overhead shot that insinuated the reunion. It's interesting that the director chose to film it from a distance.

    Good post! I hope you crank one out as good as this for Stand By Me.

    답글삭제