2011년 9월 24일 토요일

Asking a Girl Out - Short Story mixed with some personal experience


<Asking a girl out>


“Ha ha” “Oh Too bad” “Hey, look at that.” “Man, that’s really wrong, lol.” Laughter and jeering was the only sound it could here. Everybody was looking at me, giggling, laughing, and pointing. I couldn’t do anything but laugh out like them. But still, inside, I could see myself burning up with embarrassment, wanting to get out of that place as fast as I could.

     As we live through our lives, we experience many embarrassing moments. Some of them come from the choice of inappropriate words, others come from silly, unintentional actions like farting or… messing up your first try of asking a girl out.

     “Today we are going to make a French toast in a group of two. Group one is John and Ashley, group two is Austin and Jessica, group three is Jun and Aida…” That was how I met her the first time. In the cooking class, making French toasts. She had a beautiful blonde hair that could be recognized 100 steps away, perfectly balanced nose and eyes, with a smile that can make any depressed person happy. If it was only for that, I wouldn’t have liked her that much.

“Jun, that’s not how you do it. Maybe you misunderstood the instructions. Here, let me help you out a bit.”

She repeated this more than 10 times in 1 hour, cooking a very simple food called French toast. But she never showed any sign of annoyance or frustration.

“I’m sorry Aida. I not good at English and… can’t understand or speak English well.”

     “(smiling) It’s fine. I had the same problem when I first came here from Sweden. If you don’t understand something don’t just stand there but ask me!”

     She was the first person who reached out a hand for me, a stupid Asian boy who couldn’t speak or understand the English at all. And that was the only thing needed to make me fall in love with her.

Even though I really liked her, I couldn’t do anything because I wasn’t in a position to ask anyone out. I was short, pimply, and stupid. Only thing I could do was to watch her from far away, and promise myself that one day, I would ask her out.

    That one day didn’t come soon. It took me 1 year and a half to consider myself to be sufficient enough to ask Aida out. At that time, I was taller, less pimply, the vice-president of the student council, and the main player of the basketball team. I was fully adjusted to U.S and could understand English very well along with speaking it fluently. With confidence, I planned my move on the Valentine’s Day.

     “All right students, please turn your books to page 37…” Nothing came into my ears after that. Only thing in mind was how I going to confess in the lunchtime. The time passed teasingly fast. Soon, I found myself 50 steps away from Aida with head blank and shivering with nervousness.

     Squeezing up the last bit of courage, I went up to Aida, and stood in front of her until everyone around me was staring. My head was spinning and I couldn’t look anything but my feet. Then I thought ‘Gosh! You can do this man!’ then said,

     “Aida, I’ve liked you since I first saw you. Can you come to the dance party with me tonight?” Nothing could be heard except the sound of my heartbeat. Blood was gushing up to my face. I wanted to see what kind of face Aida was making but didn’t have enough courage to look up. Everyone’s attention was on Aida’s reply. Just before the concentration was going to pop, Aida opened her mouth and said,

    “Um…I’m so sorry Jun, but Jack already asked me out…and… I said yes. Maybe next time…” That was enough. I could feel my legs get loose. I could hear all the laughing, booing, jeering, and the sound of sympathy. Only thing I could do was to smile shyly, telling Aida,

     “Hey, it’s fine. Really, it’s fine.”

But inside, my heart was bursting with embarrassment.

Slowly, I turned around and walked away, defeated, humiliated, and sorrowful.


댓글 1개:

  1. Excellent story and really well written. Lot's of comedy and honesty. I like that she's from Sweden.

    As for the ending...is it really over? How about kidnapping Jack and making him get lost in the woods. That would create the opportunity to ask her out again.

    Great job on your blog so far.

    답글삭제