2011년 9월 6일 화요일

My Writing Style

111080 You Jun Seung 10b4

My Writing Style


          As I sit right in front of my computer to write an essay about my writing style, I’m pretty stuck. I’ve never, ever have thought about my writing this seriously at all. Of course, I thought about ‘what’ I was going to write about, but never ‘in what way’ I’m going to write it down. Still, I can find some similarities between my writings.
          The first similar characteristic is that I write as if I’m telling someone a story. For example, in the sentences “Tick, tock, tick tock…” Sound of the clock seemed to retreat from consciousness rapidly. I sleepily looked up at, and checked the time – it was 3:30 A.M. I looked down again. My ‘Word Smart’ was open. Every week, in English class, I had this horrible vocabulary quiz,” from my autobiography, we can clear see the characteristic. Some people will say “you write as if you’re telling a story because it’s an autobiography”. That is true. However, there are many ways to write down autobiography such as monologue. I use this technique since it helps the readers to feel close to my writing. If I write my work with just hard sentences, readers won’t be able to feel the same thing I wanted to describe about.
          The second similar characteristic is that I like to put it sounds to elaborate the situation. Let’s compare the sentences “Head! One! Head! Two! Wrist! One! Wrist! Two!” mixture of breathless shouts, occasional outbursts of desperate mumbles and many sleepy grumbles can be heard in the gym” and “Hey! hey! Here! Pass!” Even from far end of the field, players’ call for the pass could be heard. Their rough breaths, ever moving legs, and passionate shouts aimed for only one thing – a goal.” As you would have already found out, all of the examples that I presented starts with a ‘sound’. The first one starts with “tick tock”, the second one starts with “Head! One!” and the last one starts with “Hey! Here!” I use this kind of writing technique (even though there’s not much to be called a technique) in order to grab the reader’s attention. Instead of starting my writing with some boring statement like my thesis statement, I like to have a hook. Out of all the hooks possible, I use the sound because the sound helps the reader easily imagine and configure the situation that I’m talking about my writing. For example, in the first example, the readers can easily guess that I’m doing some urgent work late in the night by just reading “Tick, tock, tick tock…” Sound of the clock seemed to retreat from consciousness rapidly.”
          Lastly, as this whole writing shows, I’m only able to write the organized “first, second, third” essay unless I’m writing an autobiography. I’d really like to be out of this official TOEFL form of writing style, but I’ve never thought much about other ways to get my essay organized. I've tried some different styles to present my idea in a organized way, but it just didn't seem smooth. In order to break such boring form of writing, I intend to try various new types of writings. So far in my life, I've written tens of opinion essays (which all follows "first,second third" form) and very few autobiography, but nothing more. I hope to write stories, speeches, journals, and other genre of writing.
           I believe that I have a far way to go in order to present a good piece of writing. Since this was the first time writing about my ‘style’, I hope to keep upgrading my good styles but fix those that are bad. Moreover, as I mentioned in the fourth paragraph, I will write down more various form of writings to improve my work. To do this, I'm planning to post my writings (even though it's not a homework) here in the blog and see what I can do to upgrade my style. So far, none of my essays were able to persuade me to think of it as a great piece of writing. I head for a day when I will get impressed by my writing. I hope that day will come soon.

댓글 1개:

  1. If and when you take AP Language next year, you'll have to memorize a list of "rhetorical devices," and one of them is onomatopoeia - which includes "boom" and "bang" and "bing," and of course tick and tock. It is a good way to grab the reader's senses, but, like all things, we shouldn't use it too often. Zing!

    You seem to have a good handle on your grammar, but a double check never hurts. The more you write the better, and while I agree that "TOEFL style" essays can get repetitive, I'm not sure we can call 5 paragraph structure as strictly TOEFL. The status quo of essay writing has evolved this structure for logical reasons, and in most cases, most of the time, 5 is a good number. The creativity is up to the writer, and what he or she does in that 5 paragraphs is up to them. I'm glad to see you want to sharpen and expand your creative skills.

    Good work!

    답글삭제