2011년 11월 4일 금요일

Metafiction - A Dream Come True (two completely different stories)

A Dream Come True - Love Letter


             "It was March 17th when I first saw you. That was the time when I just arrived in America and couldn't speak English except the simple words like 'yes' or 'cool. School was a torture every day. I couldn't understand a thing that teachers talked about. I couldn't hang out with anyone because there was nobody next to me. I was lost in a middle of nowhere. I felt abandoned and alone. That's when I saw you, next to me, shining as brightly as a star upon a black sky. 

          Yes, I have a crush on you. Every single word from your mouth was beautiful, even though I couldn't understand much of it. I was quite sure you were saying something pretty. I strongly desired to listen and speak to you. However, the obstacle of language segregated us so firmly. I couldn't speak a word to you because I was afraid that you'd avoid me. 

          I wanted to tell you many things. I wanted to tell you that you smile lit the darkest corners of my life. I wanted to tell you that my heart was yours. But the only thing I was able to say to you was just "yes" and "cool". Because of this language barrier, all I could do was to wait for that day I'm able to communicate with you fully, and just watch you pass by the lockers every day. A year passed and my patience had reached its limit. I started the morning with a thumping heart.

          You are beautiful, as usual, and I am no more than a coward. You stayed next to me and helped me to go through everything I suffered at school. However, I now have the courage. And today is the day. I am here, behind you." she said, as she read through my letter.

             “Hey, this is really sweet! I never knew that you had such sweetness inside you!” she said teasingly.
             “This is embarrassing. It’s been years since I sent that first letter you.” Said I, scratching back of my head, like a child who has been caught eating a cookie.
             “Anyway, that letter didn’t turn out well.”
             “Hmm… yeah… it didn’t turn out as I expected…”

            Behind her, with my heart thumping, face red as a tomato, I held my breath as she turned towards me.
             “Well, Jun, I’m surprised, I just… just… don’t know what to say!” she said, her voice trembling slightly and her face a bit blushing.
             “Don’t…don’t get this wrong. I mean… well, it’s true that… that I like you and I’d be really glad to go out with you or anything. But this is not like a confession…no, it is a confession but… it’s not to ask you to be my girl…girlfriend, right?” I said, stammering like an idiot, with my brain blank, not understanding anything I was saying.
             “Hey, hey, calm down. Hehe. This is real sweet. I’m glad that I’ve meant so much for you and… and… you know… I wouldn’t mind going out with you. I… I liked you to as my friend too…” she said, deliberately avoiding eye contact and blushing further more.
Her words seemed to hang around the air for few seconds. Awkward silence… I couldn’t hide a smile on my face.
             “Really? Wow! Hahaha! Yay!” nothing came in my mind other than these words.


             “But why letter? You could have easily confessed face-to-face right?” she said, smiling too.
             “Yeah… about that… the reason I wrote letter is because I wanted you to remember me…”
             “Huh? Why remember you? You will be next to me every day!” she said, her smile slightly fading.
             “… I … I’m leaving America in three days. You know, I came here because of my dad and his work here is over now. I’ve always wanted to confess to you someday, but couldn’t grab a chance. I would have liked to give you a present but I wasn’t sure whether you were going to accept my confession or not.” I said, with a defeated voice and disappointment crossing the face.
             “Wha… what? You never told me about this! Why didn’t you? oh my god! If you told me, we would have had a least a farewell party… and after all this… you are leaving?” she said, with a hint of sudden anger and frustration in her words.
             “I just wanted to ‘disappear’ quietly… but I couldn’t leave without leaving anything to you.”
Another few seconds of awkward silence followed. I felt defeated. There was nothing I could do.
             “When are you coming back?” she finally said, after few minutes.
             “What?” I shouted, surprised by sudden question.
             “WHEN ARE YOU COMING BACK?” she shouted back.
             “Umm…. I have no idea. I mean, I didn’t know about this departure until a week ago.”
             “Alright, fine. I’m going to keep in contact with you until you come back to here. I don’t care how long it will take you. But, I can wait. It’s too sad to end right here, right?” she said, forcing a smile on her face.
             “………….” I couldn’t say anything. I was just too grateful to her for the decision.

             “Yeah, and I kept my promise, right?” she said, looking straightly at my eyes.
             “I was a bit surprised. But you did. And I came back here as I told you right?” I said, this time, not avoiding her stare.
             “I can’t tell you how great it feels for you to be here with me.” She said, sweetly.
             “Well, enough said. It’s all behind us. Now, we have a date delayed for 7 years, don’t we?”
             “A date, huh? You never asked me out or anything.”
             “Alright ma’am. Will you go out with me?”
             “You are missing a word there!” she said, teasingly.
             “Will you PLEASE go out with me?” I asked, smile spreading on my face.
             “Hmm. A girl like me is too good for you, but I’ll give you a chance.”

It’s been seven years after I sent that confession letter to her - It seems like my dream finally came true.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


A Dream Come True - Exams
this is a totally different piece of work of metafiction and doesn't have any relation with the work above.


               “Tick-tock, tick-tock”
As the clock ticked down, a drop of sweat ran down my back.
             “Tick-tock, tick-tock”
The dreadful sound was marching towards the end. My brain started to turn blank. My hands started to tremble.
             ‘Will this be solved this way? No! Then there’s no answer!’
             “Tick-tock, tick tock”
             ‘Man! There’s only a few minutes left and I have three more questions to solve. I have seen this question before… Ah… What was the key?’
             “Tick-tock, tick-tock”
             ‘Oh… I’m doomed! I’ll just have to flunk this test. What will I tell my parents? Wait, the test isn’t over yet. C’mon! I can solve at least one question with the time left!’
             “Tick-tock, tick-tock”
My brain started to buzz again, desperate to avoid chastisement and vicious scolding from my parents. My hands begin to move and started to scratch something at the test paper. However, there was no way that the problem would get suddenly solved in a few seconds.
             “Tick-tock, tick-tock”
             “Thump-thump, thump-thump”
As the test was reaching towards its last seconds, not only the clock was ticking, but my heart was trembling vigorously too, stimulated by the thrill of being so pressed by the time and the dread of flunking the test. Soon, nothing could be heard except the thumping sound of my heart.
             “Thump-thump, thump-thump”
             ‘Ah… shi*! Why I haven’t studied harder before? All those time I wasted, I could have memorized all these theorems and proofs that would have helped to solve this question. Blah… I will just have to skip the hard process. Now, what will be the reasonable answer here…’
             “Thump-thump, thump-thump”
             ‘Will thirty-three be right? No? Maybe thirty-four is the right answer? Grr… Alright, I’ll just go with thirty-three.”
             “Tick-tock, tick---beep!!!”
As I scratched the answer down the answer sheet, the clock stopped, and the bell rang, signaling the end of the horrible math exam.
             “Alright students, remember that your test sheet is your answer sheet. Make sure that you drop it in the box below me before you leave the class! Hey there! The test is over! Please turn in your answer sheets!”
It was over. All over. I failed. I flunked the test.

“Hey! Jun!” someone was calling from somewhere behind. It would be probably John, asking me how the math exam was. I didn’t want to answer. So I just put my head down on to desk, sad and defeated.

             “Bee-beep, bee-beep, bee-beep”
             ‘Huh? What’s this sound? Did I sleep all through the second test?’
             “Hey, Jun!”
             ‘Oh, it’s John again. Maybe that’s someone’s cell phone.’
             “Go away, I don’t want to talk about the math exam.
             “Hey! Jun! Wake up man! Hey! You will be late! It’s almost 8! Hey c’mon, are you crazy or something? Why won’t you wake up? Oh come on!”
             ‘What the heck is he talking about? I told him that I don’t want to talk with him! Why won’t he just knock it off? Damn it!’
             “I told you, I don’t wanna talk about the freakin’ math exam!”
             “What? What are you saying? We are going to take that freaking math exam in 20 minutes!”
             ‘What?’
             “What!” I shouted, with my eyes popping up from eye sockets. The bright light suddenly hit my eyes and I couldn’t see clearly. Squinting, I screamed again.
             “What time is it now? What day is it?”
             Smirking and laughing, they shouted back, very annoyed. “It’s Wednesday and 20 minutes before the exam! Now knock it off, we are in no mood for any jokes. Maybe you are fully prepared, but we are not!”
             “Wha…what? Oh fu**!” Darn it! So that was just a dream? Oh my god! I’m gonna be late for the test. Oh no! Wait a minute, how did I sleep last night? Um…
             “Darn it! There’s so much to do! I don’t get a one bit of this theorem. What time is it, John?”
             “Its 3:30 A.M. It’s same here. Polar coordinates are driving me crazy. My head doesn’t work as it should. Maybe because I’m damn sleepy!” said John, with his eyes half closed.
             “Man! You are already that far? I’m barely finished with the inequalities and my head just stopped working and my eyes are blurry.”
             “Don’t lie Jun, I saw you go over the whole thing before midnight.” Said John, frowning.
             “Well, whatever. I’m gonna sleep for 30 minutes, alright? Please wake me up at 4:00.”
             “I bet 1 million that you are never going to wake up and anyway, I don’t think I can stay up until then.”
             “C’mon, please. I’m really desperate.” I said, already starting to lie on the floor.
             “Alright, but I warned you!” said John, shaking his head.
             ‘Oh…SHIT! I’m doomed.’
             “I tried to wake you up at the time you asked, but you just shook your head when I told you to wake up. I tried for 10 minutes or so and I slept.”
             “Oh, that’s fine. It’s my fault. You guy go ahead, I’ll go after I pack my bag”
             “Alright, make sure you aren’t late!”
             ‘No. I’m not even close to fine. I didn’t look it over even once! I never memorized definitions! I was just bluffing to you guys.’ However, there was no time to squander. I washed my face and brushed my teeth, put on my uniform and started out the dorm at a speed of light. I just made it in time.
             “Alright students don’t forget to write your name on the sheet, and the test starts…NOW!”
             ‘Oh well, here I go. So, it’s a dream call true, huh?”

댓글 4개:

  1. Very creative and fun! I enjoyed reading it a lot!!! But I'm not sure if swear words is appropriate or not:(( because I as well thought about putting a swear word in.. i'm not sure. ㅠㅠ

    답글삭제
  2. What's with you guys and swear words?@@ Stephen King does is sometimes because he's an adult and he writes for a living. You guys are students and should use proper euphanisms. The "s-h" word is not a bad one, but use "crap" or something else instead.;) Even if it is creative writing. I know you guys wouldn't do this in an essay, but...still.

    Anyways - I agree with Dennis. Great stuff! I like the first one the best, however, and I don't know if you have a girlfriend or not - but I'm sure you'll have no troubles courting women with this kind of poetic mastery of romance. Very "sweet" and honest and smooth. Some might even say "buttery." ;) In any case, you are a skilled writer, and a second draft of the first one could easily land on the published page with a bit of work.

    The second one is also good, and I loved the beginning. The transitions to other layers, however, needs sorting out, as I find it confusing. But the onomatopoeia of the tick tick and thump thump really had me feeling the stress of writing a test. I'm glad you didn't use Word Smart as your source material. You'll definitely be getting some extra credit for writing the extra assignment. I'm thrilled to see you enjoy creative writing.

    답글삭제
  3. OH MY GOD THE FIRST STORY IS SO FREAKIN' SWEET THAT MY SKIN IS CRAWLING SO BADLY OH MY GOD
    Anyway, nice connection through the metafiction! great!

    답글삭제
  4. The above comment is the strangest I've ever seen. @@

    답글삭제